Sponsoring Nicaraguan women to become medical doctors.
Adelante Mujer/Advance Woman is a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization established in the United States to collect donations for needy Nicaraguan women whose dream is to become medical doctors. The daily operations of the organization are managed by an Administrative Team located in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. A nine-member Board of Directors meets three times a year and oversees the entire program. Our On-site Coordinator in Bilwi/Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua distributes the monthly allowances to qualifying women medical students.
Adelante Mujer also consists of the many devoted individual donors who contribute to this worthy cause. Without them and groups that award grant money, there would be no Adelante Mujer.
Adelante Mujer provides financial assistance to women who are studying to become medical doctors at the nationally certified School of Intercultural Medicine of URACCAN University in Bilwi/Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua. Your financial support allows us to fund these talented and determined women whose professional preparation will increase the number of physicians in the area.
Specifically, Adelante Mujer provides medical students with financial support for the following:
- Required school supplies – including expensive photocopying because textbooks are scarce and computers are few
- Required medical supplies – such as lab coats, stethoscope, scrubs, rubber gloves, blood pressure cuff, head and foot covering, surgical masks, thermometer, hand sanitizers, etc.
- Transportation – from the university to the hospital where students do their on site training
- One meal per day on campus – When we became aware that many students could not afford a campus meal we added this to our financial support
- License Expenses – following 6 years of study and 3 years of internship we decided to assist doctors with travel to the Nicaraguan Ministry of Health in Managua where, once their nine years of study are finished, they must appear in person to receive their license to practice medicine
“Whatever you do to others you do to me” are the words that inspire us to reach out to help the people of Nicaragua. We are truly blessed to be the connection between our generous donors and the young women of Nicaragua who wish to serve their people as medical doctors.
We welcome your financial assistance in funding university expenses for young women who will serve in one of the poorest areas of the Western Hemisphere where there is only one doctor per approximately 9,000 persons.